Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What's For Dinner





For dinner tonight I'd planned on making a Chicken Rice Soup, but I wanted something a little more hardy to go along with it. So I looked at some recipes, and decided to concoct a little something of my own out of ingredients I had in the pantry. Here is my recipe for Gluten Free Corn Bread:

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup GF Bread Mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
3/4 cup corn meal
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375.

In a bowl mix all of the dry ingredients together. Slowly stir in milk, then melted butter, then egg. Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray (I used a glass pan). Poor in batter. Cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes cover with foil to prevent over browning. Bake an additional 40 minutes.

This turned out better than I thought it would. I won't go so far as to say it's as good as normal gluten filled bread, but it's a good substitute. Especially when you haven't had bread in a year. My whole family liked it.

And here is my Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.



I didn't really follow a recipe for this, but it was really good. I used Imagine Organic Free Range Chicken Broth for the base. And the wild rice is Lundberg Farms Organic Wild Rice Blend. There were no seasonings in the rice, it was just a blend of 4 wild rices. I have to say, this was the first time I've tried this rice, and holy cow.... it is AMAZING. So good that I'm considering spending all of next week $40.00 on wild rice. Sure my family will hate me and there will probably be a mutiny, but it may be worth it...... it's that good. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment