Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What's For Dinner - Kind of

Dinner today was kind of an invention. I liked it..... the kids not so much.

I put some pork sirloin chops in the slow cooker. I covered them with applesauce, sprinkled them with salt, pepper, and brown sugar. I cooked them all day on low (started them frozen). About 1/2 hour before serving I took the meat out and stirred in a little corn starch to thicken and make a sauce. I sliced the meat in strips and added it back to the slow cooker. I steamed some snap peas and mixed those in too. I served it over brown rice and sprinkled with soy sauce.

I know it sounds weird, but it was kind of an adaptation of another recipe I found in a cookbook. The flavors worked, I thought, the kids didn't like the snap peas and they don't really love pork either... but they ate it.

There is no picture because when I went to take one my camera said I exhausted the battery. I guess when I uploaded the pictures of my grocery trip the other day I forgot to turn the camera off..... so.... you get no picture. It wasn't that pretty anyways. I don't know how something can photograph so well in a cookbook, and than when you make it it looks like something totally different. Maybe it's just me. It probably is. I think I lack some essential cooking gene, so all my efforts to make "pretty" meals are futile. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment