Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Weekend

Why is the weekend always seem to be a money sucking adventure. Saturday we had my husband's parents over. My husband and his dad were fixing replacing our car's brakes and rotors. So I figured I'd cook a really good fall dinner. And it was good.... but..... I had to get a "few" things for it. Long story short, if I hadn't exempted entertaining from the budget I'd be eating ramen all week.

So here is what was for dinner:



This was a chicken chili recipe that I found, and while it was good, it took about 4 HOURS of cooking. That's 4 hours of me standing in the kitchen doing something.... that is insane, and I will never happen again. And it wasn't worth it. But here's my lovely picture (it looks a little gross in the picture, sorry). I have enough leftovers for lunch for probably 2 weeks. I put a lot in the freezer. I don't really know why I decided to make this recipe. I have been reading a lot of cookbooks in my head and I have this idea (and it's only an idea, not reality) that I'm Martha Stewart or something and I can make anything...... And, seriously, I'm an average cook with high asperations. Nothing more.

But dessert.

Dessert was GOOD. Really good.



I know what you're thinking. It looks average, maybe even boring. But wholly cow...yes I am the only 30 something person I know who actually says wholly cow, and I realize it's weird.... it is fantastic.

The recipe:

Pumpkin Cake

Ingredients:

28 oz pumpkin pie filling
2 cups of milk
6 large eggs
1.5 cups of sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 lb butter
1 yellow cake mix (I used a gluten free cake mix, but any would work fine)

Preheat oven to 350
In a bowl mix with electric beater the pumpkin, eggs, milk, sugar, salt, ginger, and cinnamon. Beat at medium speed until blended. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.

In a different bowl empty the cake mix and cut in the butter. If you use a gluten free mix you may need a little more butter for this. Mix till the mixture is crumbly. Cover the top of the pumpkin mixture with the crumbs. Bake 50 minutes or until golden.

I served this with a little whipped cream on top, and everyone thought it was better than pumpkin pie. It was really delicious and so easy to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment