Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Week One - Shopping Trip #2



Today I wasn't planning on doing my second grocery run, but I was baking and out of a few things so I decided to finish up the weeks shopping. I didn't do as great as yesterday, but I did buy a couple of pricey things.

I shopped at Meijer, where they double coupons up to and including $.50. Also for those of you unfamiliar with Meijer's coupon policy, you can use one manufacturers coupon and one printable Meijer Mealbox or mperks e-coupon per item.

Here's what I bought:

$1.59 Meijer brand whipped topping (the kind like Reddi-Whip)
$5.88 2 - Silk Pure Almondmilk 1/2 gallon - Minus $1.00 Meijer Mealbox coupon and $2.00 in coupons = $2.88
$6.99 123 Gluten Free Pan/Bar Mix
$.59 Margarine
$1.30 2 Ortega Taco Seasoning Mix - Minus $1.00 coupon
$.99 dozen large eggs
$2.58 2 Heinz white vinegar bottles - Minus $2.00 in coupons
$1.59 Aunt Millie's whole wheat bread - Minus $.55 coupon
$2.29 Meijer 4 lb. white sugar
$1.67 Meijer brand semi-sweet chocolate chips - Minus $.55 mperks e-coupon
$5.00 2 La Victoria Salsas - Minus $4.00 coupon
$5.00 2 28oz La Victoria Enchilada Sauce - Minus $4.00 coupon
Also had $1.00 of any grocery purchase Meijer catalina coupon

Total - $20.92
I don't really know how to do the exemptions on this order. Some of the sugar, some of the GF baking mix, and some of the chocolate chips are for when we have company. Also the salsa is for entertaining. I guess I'm going to go ahead and say that I'm exempting $3.50 ($2.00 for a portion of the sugar, GF mix, and chocolate chips - and $1.00 for the salsa)

So total for today $17.42

The tally:
Total spent: $33.67
Remaining: $6.33

This grocery trip was kind of humiliating for me. First let me say that I am not a confrontational person, if I'm charged wrong in the line 99% of the time I let it go. But today, my 2 La Victoria coupons, that were for $4.00 off 2 products, rang up at only -$2.50. I mentioned it to the cashier, who shrugged and said, "Well the computer you didn't buy enough." I pointed it out that the coupon was off 2 products, and since I had 2 coupons I had bought 4 products. She didn't answer. At this point I'm kind of steamed, because like you know, I only have $40 to spend. And so that $3.00 difference was suddenly a huge deal to me. I don't want to blow it on week 1. So the cashier finishes ringing up the order, and I pay, silently cringing as I over pay my precious $3.00. But then on my way out of the store I suddenly get a little spunk. I turned around, went to the customer service desk, and pointed out the problem. The lady was a little too nice, and she had absolutely no idea what to do. She ended up finding someone else and they huddled in the corner, talking lowly to each other while stealing glances my way. All my spunk vanished, they asked to see my merchandise, claimed I bought the wrong sizes. And than after examining them for what seemed like hours agreed that they were indeed the correct products. By this point I was ready to hand over next weeks $40 just to get away, but than the lady smiled and handed me over $3.00 cash.



I practically ran out of the store.


So it ended well I guess. Although I'm not sure I would do it again. Somehow $40 just doesn't seem as much as it did when this idea originally popped into my head.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you went back to fight for it! $3 is a lot and I hate when the people don't want to do their jobs and try and make you pay for it. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete