Wednesday, December 1, 2010

What's For Dinner - Potage Parmentier




Tonight was so cold and windy that soup sounded like it would really hit the spot. So since I've been dying to try this soup from the Art of French Cooking and it has the simplest ingredients I thought tonight would be the perfect time to try it. And since I figured my family is super picky I better make something safe too. So we had Potage Parmentier (Potato and Leek Soup) and Chicken and Rice Soup. This was possibly the best soup ever, hands down the best I ever made. I did think it was a little too soupy and ended up scooping out some broth. Next time I think I will add more potatoes and use less water. My husband isn't a big onion eater and he thought it was okay, but it was one of my favorite meals. In an effort to thicken it up a bit I stirred in a handful of shredded cheddar cheese too. Other than that I followed her recipe exactly.

You need:

3-4 cups of sliced or diced potatoes (I used 4 cups of Yukon Gold potatoes), peeled
3 cups (1 lb) of sliced leeks including the greens, or yellow onions (I used yellow onions since they were on hand)
2 qts water
1 TBSP salt
4-6 TBSP whipping cream or 3 TBSP softened butter (I used 5 TBSP whipping cream and 1 of butter)
Minced chives or parsley for garnish (I used green onion since it's what I had)

Simmer vegetables, water, and salt together, partially covered for 40-50 minutes or until tender.

Mash the vegetables in soup with a fork (I used a potato masher and ran a lot of the onion through the food processor). Off heat, just before serving, stir in cream or butter by spoonfuls.

This is a really nice comfort meal on a cold day. I'll be making this again for sure, although I'll have to do it when we're having a group over since leftovers cannot be saved and I can't eat the entire pot myself. It was so good it made me want to try though!

No comments:

Post a Comment