Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Cheesecake



This is my slow cooker cheesecake. Forgive the picture, but I forgot to take a picture until 1/2 of it was gone.... so I had to take a partial cheesecake shot.

Ingredients:

Crust:
1 cup crushed animal cookies (I used Mi-Del Arrowroot cookies) - For me it took about 2 cups of regular cookies to get 1 cup of crumbs....
3 TB melted butter
2 TB brown sugar

The Creamy Delicious Cheesecake Filling:
2 8 oz. blocks of cream cheese (use the full fat kind.... you're making cheesecake for crying out loud)
3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 TB Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill GF Flour)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla

Use at least a 6 qt. slow cooker. Mine is a 7 qt. Find a heat proof baking dish that will fit inside the slow cooker. This is the hardest part. I ended up using a foil throw away pie pan I bought from the dollar store. Mix the crust ingredients all together and press into bottom of pan.

In separate bowl mix up all the filling ingredients with an electric mixer. Blend until creamy. Mine still had a few lumps but I didn't want to over mix. Pour into crust.

Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of your slow cooker. Put the cheesecake in. Cook on high about 3 hours. I would check on it before that to see how it's doing though. I propped my slow cooker open for the last hour or so and that seemed to help (my cooker was getting too wet inside). The cheesecake is done when you touch it and you finger doesn't get all cheesecakey. Mine was still jiggly in the middle (think jello). Chill for several hours. This is the most important step I think. I chilled mine about 2 hours and it was not long enough. The cheesecake was still decent but it wasn't firm enough. A few hours later it was SO much better and the next day was even better.

This ended up being really good. Of course it was better after everyone left my house and it had had a chance to firm up longer. So next time I will cook it the day before. And I think next time I'll try it in the oven, just because it would be quicker. It was nice this time though to cook it in the slow cooker, because my oven was full of 2 hams and a rack of stuffed potatoes.... so no room for a cheesecake.

I'll be making this again for sure. I haven't had cheesecake in over a year so this was a huge treat for me, and the first cheesecake I've seen that was GF. It was really easy to make too, which was a huge bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment