Monday, June 6, 2011

Starting Over - Shopping List Week 1

I'm testing the waters, trying to decide if I want to get back into doing this. My family is trying to eat healthier and I was having trouble committing to the $40 a week. But I'm going to try this again and see if I can do it. I think with summer coming it will be easier, since fresh fruits and veggies should be cheaper.

This week I shopped at Meijer. There is no picture since I seem to have lost my camera's battery charger.... I guess I get to spend my grocery savings buying a new camera charger. Wonderful.

So here is what I got. I only used two coupons, so mostly I just bought things on sale. Meijer is having a 10 for $10 sale with the 11th item free, so I did that deal twice. I do have a lot of boneless skinless chicken so I didn't need to buy much meat.

$.59 Gallon of water
$.99 lemon juice
$2.29 4 pack of vanilla milk boxes
$1.00 Meijer brand snack size baggies
$1.50 cantelope (I bought the biggest one I could find)
$1.25 6 pack of Meijer Splash (like Fruist2O)
$2.00 2 English cucumbers
$4.00 4 misc colored bell peppers (2 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange)
$1.00 Green Giant frozen green beans
$1.00 Green Giant frozen broccoli and carrots
$1.00 Earthbound Farms Organic baby carrots 1 lb bag
$2.00 2 cans of Bush's Garbanzo Beans
$2.00 2 cans of Bush's Black Beans
$1.00 Meijer Wheat Bread
$1.00 Combos
$1.00 Old El Paso fat free refried beans
$1.00 Sunny D - minus $.50 coupon = $.50 Total
$1.00 Dole bagged shredded lettuce
$1.00 Carando Salami
$1.00 Meijer Puff Corn
$1.00 Meijer cheese puffs
$5.98 2 lbs Purdue natural ground chicken

Minus a $1.00 off produce coupon

My total including tax was $31.25. Not too bag considering I only used 2 coupons. Plus I got a lot of fresh produce, so I'm happy with it.

My menu for the week in no particular order should be:

Stuffed Peppers
Chicken Tacos
Chicken Kabobs
BBQ Chicken
Hot Dogs/Burgers on the grill

Not too sure what I'll do on the weekend. I'm too lazy to plan that far in advance. I also plan to make a lightened up hummus to have with cucumber slices for a healthy snack. I've never tried to make hummus before, and this recipe is a bit different from the normal, so this may or may not be a huge failure. We'll see. I am really trying to cook more from scratch, because it is usually healthier and it's cheaper. I mixed up a big batch of gluten free trail mix yesterday to have for snacks as well. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment